The City of Cumming is a municipal corporation duly organized in the State of Georgia. It is governed by a Mayor and a five-member Council who are elected city-wide by Post, each serving 4 year terms.
The Town of Cumming was first charted by the State of Georgia in 1834, and in 1845 a second charter was issued designating The City of Cumming as Mayor and Council form of government.
Mayor H. Ford Gravitt was first elected to the office of Mayor in 1970, taking office in January 1971. This will be his 44th year as the Chief Elected Official of the City of Cumming. Mayor Gravitt also served four years as City Council Member prior to becoming Mayor making his total public service 46 years.
Council Member Quincy Holton was first elected to office in 1968, taking office January 1, 1969, making this his 46th year as Council Member.
Lewis Ledbetter was first elected to office in 1970, taking office January 1971, making this his 44th year as Council Member.
Christopher Light was elected to office on Nov. 3, 2015, and was sworn into office Jan. 19, 2016..
Linda Ledbetter was elected to office on Nov. 3, 2015, and was sworn into office Jan. 19, 2016.
Charles F. Welch, Jr. was elected to office during a special election on June 16, 2015, and was sworn into office on July 21, 2015. Welch fills an unexpired Post 1 City Council term, which ends on Dec. 31, 2017.
City Administrator manages the daily operations of the city, executes the policies set forth by the Mayor and Council and oversees the heads of all the city departments. Those departments are:
- Human Resources
- Public Information
- Water Production
- Water Distribution
- Water Pollution Control
- Cumming Country Fair and Festival
- Mary Alice Park
- Cumming Playhouse and 1923 Historic School
- Brannon Heard House
- Planning and Zoning
- Castleberry Community Building
- Recreation and Parks
- Aquatic Center
The City of Cumming’s Public Information Division was established in early 2015 with the purpose of providing timely and accurate information to the public, city employees, and members of other governmental entities, as needed.
The Public Information Division works to promote city services, amenities, meetings, and events through a range of communications tools such as the city’s website, promotional materials, and media notifications.
The division also oversees all Open Records Act Requests received by the City of Cumming. Crystal Ledford, Public Information Assistant, is the city’s designated Records Officer, as of city council approval in February 2015. All Open Records Requests should be submitted to her at email@example.com or by calling (770) 781-2010.
The city’s charter was amended again in 1935 to provider for a Police or Recorders Court which dealt mainly with traffic related offenses.
In 1999, through the efforts of Rep. Mike Evans and Rep. Bobby Reese, once again the charter was amended establishing a Municipal Court with the first Municipal Court Judge being appointed, the Honorable Charles R. Smith.
The establishment of a municipal court system broadened the jurisdiction of the court to include the enforcement of city ordinances, etc.
Upon the retirement of Judge Smith in 2013, John Richard Neville of the law firm, Neville & Cunat, LLP was appointed to the position. Former Recorder/Police Court Judges are, the Honorable Bass R. Farr, and the Honorable Larry Boling.
The first city hall was a small building located on the northeast corner of the courthouse grounds, near the historic bandstand. During the early years, it served mainly as a Police and Fire station. In 1974, a new city hall was built at 301 Veterans Memorial Blvd. the facility that now houses the Cumming Police Department.
In 2002, debt free upon completion, the current City Hall located at 100 Main Street opened its doors to the public.
Due to the frugal financial management of the City of Cumming and by order of the Mayor and Council, there have been no city property taxes excised since 1986.
You may contact the Mayor and Council at the following address:
City of Cumming
100 Main Street
Cumming, Ga. 30040